The Academic Staff Union of Universities has said it did not receive any notice of meeting from the Federal Ministry of Labour and Employment.
The academic staff body also said it would decide on the next course of action after the expiration of its warning strike.
Last Friday, it was reported that the Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr Chris Ngige, during a meeting with the striking National Association of Academic Technologists promised to meet with ASUU this week.
This week is also the last week of the ASUU’s two months rollover strike.
A statement by the acting spokesman of the Federal Ministry of Labour and Employment, Patience Onuobia, quoted Ngige as saying, “As a conciliator, I manage you people in measured steps. That is why I want to take all of you holistically and I ask for your cooperation. When I finish with you today, I will continue with ASUU next week.
“The Federal Government will resume talks with ASUU by next week as part of moves to end the lingering strike by the lecturers.”
However, the National President of ASUU, Prof. Emmanuel Osodeke, told our correspondent on Sunday that the union had yet to receive any notice of meeting from any Federal Government ministry.
No, we have received any notice of meeting from them. They didn’t call us. We are not begging them to meet with us and we will not go to them if they do not invite us. It’s part of his political campaign, we didn’t receive any invite,” he said.
When asked what would be ASUU’s decision at the end of its two-month rollover strike which ends on Friday, Osodeke said, “My people will decide.”
Osodeke also berated some ministers in the regime of the President, Major General Mohammadu Buhari (retd.) for buying the nomination forms to contest for the presidential seat in 2023.
He explained that the strike was in its 12th week and yet no intervention from the government. He added that the ministers had not called ASUU for any meeting but could raise money to buy nomination forms.