In Nigeria Today, students Show More Interest in taking up professional courses like Medicine, Accounting, pharmacy, and so on, rather than them putting in for educational courses to become a teacher or pedagogy for some reasons which will be clarified in this content.
Teaching as a profession is a specialized application of knowledge, skill, and attributes designed to prove unique service and to make the educational needs of the individual and societies.
“Teaching is the mother of all professions, is a profession that provides pillar to the society and without a teacher no one can attain their heights in life.
Students studying educational courses to become a teacher has high autonomy. It is also a great advantage to them because the teaching profession will also allow individuals to play an active role by inspiring others, and also have the opportunity to influence the future of the field of education.
Below are some major reasons Nigeria Students show less interest in picking up educational courses to become a teacher.
- Poor salaries: The salary range of a qualified teacher in a private own school is between 15000-30000 monthly which is quite low to withstand Nigeria standard of living, A student making an attempt to put in for and educational courses will be a bit discouraged by such amount of money.
- Bashing of names: Teacher names are often criticized in our today’s society, students will love to be addressed as medical Doctors or lawyers rather him be addressed as a teacher. It takes a great-minded person to address him/herself as a teacher.
- Working intensification: This is often seen to occur mostly in private own secondary or primary schools where a teacher will be given a task of he/she taking more than 3-4 subjects aside from his/her specialization, and the success of any system of education depends on a large extent, on the number of teachers, their qualities and their devotions to duties and their effectiveness in the job. So as a student aspiring to pick up an educational course he/she might be discouraged by the working intensification in some schools.
- Dignity and respect: Teachers and not treated with dignity and respect in society compared to other professions because they can’t afford an attractive house and their standard of living is a little faded due to low income.
- Stage fear or confidence: Standing at the fronts of students for a couple of hours passing information to them at the same time trying to get their attention is a difficult task because there is always pressure for you to cover up the syllabus or scheme of work on time.
- Mocks from friends or students: regardless of how good or smart a teacher might be, they will always be friends or students that bad-mouth the teachers behind them which discourage some aspiring students to become a teacher.
- Challenge in students’ behavior in which He/she wants to teach: Regardless of how good or qualified a teacher might be, he/she will always be discouraged by students in which she wants to address. A teacher is likely to have downright, disrespectful or rude students in the class.
- Poor working environment: Some private and Government schools in Nigeria are not of standard, they lack facilities like tables and chairs, laboratory equipment for practicals and well conducive libraries, lack of these facilities hinder the process of teaching and learning.
However, it is not surprising that the number of applicant for educational courses or programs in universities or colleges have slumped. The program is long and intense, the creativity and relationship aspect of the profession has been eroded, there is pervasive negativity in the media and poor salaries or income and also working conditions.
It is very difficult to know where to start from, but appealing to the vocational drive of those who are aspiring to study educational courses, to achieve by raising the profile of these additional attributes in teacher education programs and that might be of help to the program.
However, despite the fact that students might be discouraged by putting in for educational courses, below are some important and advantages for students who choose to take teaching as a profession.
- Ability to make difference in someone else’s life: The Quality of lecture a student achieves is the most important factor in student academic success, and there is a Nice satisfaction in watching a child discover new learning.
- The chance to change the future: As the Author Henry B.Adam once said. “A teacher affects eternity” He can never tell where his influence stops.
- Ability to learn continuously: “The more you teach the more you learn”, during the process of teaching and learning students ask a lot of questions, As a teacher you will have to be updated with new content and theories.
- Challenging profession: Becoming a teacher is a challenging occupation, only the bravest student will choose to become part of such a dynamic career field.
- Benefit plans: Becoming a teacher will grant you a decent insurance plan and retirement plans in Government schools.
- Good demands: There is always a high demand for qualified teachers, and there is an opportunity to develop, earn more money, and progress to a higher status. You don’t have to find it difficult before you can get a better job offer as a teacher if you are qualified for the job.
- Travel overseas: Since you have the qualifications to teach, you can move anywhere in the world to teach and learn more. There are lots of great opportunities overseas where teachers who have trained and qualified certificates are looked on favorably.
- Rewarding: Teaching is a rewarding career, you have the strength and power to motivate a child by bringing out their passion for a course or subject. Most teachers will say there is nothing better than getting an “AHA moment” from a child once they understand something that they have been struggling with. This is a big responsibility, but a rewarding one.
- You will have a say: you are your own boss when you are a teacher, you have the right to decide your classroom activities, your curriculum, and also the right to control your students.
- You can get tuition-free for M.E.D at the university of people: If you finally want to become a teacher, there are a series of training routes, depending on where you are based. once you have B.E.D and a preliminary teaching certificate or license, you can start your master’s and do others totally online from your comfort zones. University of the people has a tuition-free M.E.D Program for undergraduates. Students can choose to specialize in either elementary, high school, or university education.
Nice choice of career options: You can choose to specialize in English, math, art, science, literature depending on where you mostly have passion for.
In conclusion, I hope this post will be a better guide to students out there, having a doubting mind about he/she putting becoming a teacher.
Below is a list of universities that offer educational courses in Nigeria.
Abia State University, Uturu
Adeyemi College Of Education, (Affiliated To Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife
Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
Al- Hikmah University, Ilorin
Alvan Ikoku College Of Education, (Affiliated To University Of Nigeria, Nsukka)
College Of Education, Agbor (Affiliated To Delta State University, Abraka, Delta
College Of Education, Akwanga (Affiliated To Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria,
College Of Education, Warri (Affiliated To Delta State University, Abraka, Delta)
Delta State University, Abraka
Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
Ekiti State University, Ado-Ekiti
Emmanuel Alayande College Of Education, Oyo (Affiliated To Ekiti State University)
Federal College Of Education(Technical) Gusau(Affl To Ahmadu Bello University)
Federal College Of Education, Kano (Affiliated To Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
Federal College Of Education, Kontagora (Affiliated To Ahmadu Bello University
Federal College Of Education, Okene (Affiliated To University Of Ibadan)
Federal College Of Education, Pankshin (Affiliated To University Of Jos, Plateau)
Federal College Of Education, Zaria
(Affiliated To Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria)
Godfrey Okoye University, Urgwuomu- Nike
Ignatius Ajuru University Of Education, Port Harcourt
Kogi State University, Anyigba
Kwara State College Of Education, (Technical), Lafia (Affiliated To Ahmadu Bello university
Lead City University, Ibadan
Michael Otedola College Of Primary Education, Noforija, Epe, Lagos (Affiliated
Nasarawa State University, Keffi
Niger State College Of Education, Minna (Affiliated To Ahmadu Bello University
Nwafor Orizu College Of Education, Nsugbe (Affiliated To University Of Nigeria
Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife
Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago-Iwoye
Tai Solarin University Of Education, Ijagun
University Of Abuja, Abuja
University Of Benin, Benin City
University Of Calabar,Calabar
University Of Ilorin, Ilorin
University Of Jos, Jos
University Of Uyo
University of Lagos.